Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wedding Congratulations Card

Hello All,

I am sorry that I haven't been really able to post a tutorial for any of my works as of now. I just haven't had the time, with a small child in the house and a full time job on my hand. I have, though, tried to put together a sort of step by step image explaining how to make the petals (that is the only tricky part here) in


I used 80 gsm beige printing paper strips (~ 3 mm width, they are hand-cut hence not a very constant width) for the petals. One strip was 12 inches long. I used a technique called Husking (Inna explains it much better than I do, she has great photos to accompany the instructions) for making the petals. My own amateurish attempt at explaining husking is here


After making the petals, I used a gold glitter pen to do gilding (basically, I followed the paper edge with pen tip). It gave a beautiful rich effect. I pasted 5 petals on a rectangle I drew in the upper half a 200 gsm (A4 folded into half) off-white paper. The leaves has been made using a bright green 80 gsm printing paper (which was about to be thrown away for being 'discoloured'). The leaves were shaped using the quilling board I bought from Artystree :-)  On the lower half of the card, I pasted a ribbon piece (which came off a box of sweets from Doha! I am a GREAT fan of recycling), made a bow and pasted on top of it.


The gold swirls on the rectangle were an afterthought really. The card looked barren without them. The core of the flower is a 5 mm width,10 inch long yellow paper strip, tight coiled and gilded with gold pen (on the side though, not on top, I wanted the yellow colour to show). In the centre, I have stuck a pearl. Between each petal, I stuck 1 pearl each to give richness to the look. The buds are again made of the beige paper, 3D coiled to make a cone. The "Congrats Bikash and Ivy" is my own hand-writing (hence the unevenness). I wish I had printed it but then, there was no time.

So, here goes a sort of tutorial. I will post better tutorials once I have the time!

Happy Quilling

PS: If my posts inspire you to create something on similar lines, I feel highly flattered. But please, do respect the effort I take in conceptualizing and executing, please give a direct link to my work when you are inspired by mine. Thanks for understanding........:-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very sincere and a nice attempt for tutorial -husking. Now anyone can make a try easily. Thank u for sharing Pritesh....

Sathya
Taiwan

Pritesh Dagur said...

Thank you Sathya, I will definitely post a better tutorial asap :)